Within a 100 yards you could load the bullet backwards and it would do fine. Nothing against round nose bullets as I use/used them myself. The benefit in a round nose ususally has to do with performance on game much larger than deer or profile requirements for tubular magazines. If you are shooting a rifle that doesn't necessitate the use of them for safety they offer nothing more than nastalgic looks unless you are loading the DG rounds that are designed for Elephant and alike. That however, is enough for some. I have them, use them and have good luck with them as 90% of my shots on game are within 100 yards. At that distance there is no real advantage or disadvantage. On deer I use left over 150 gr RN that I had for a 30-30 and one of my favorite bear loads is a 30 cal 220 gr. Nothing that couldn't be replaced by a 150 SP or a 200 gr partition though. At the ranges I shoot/hunt it's a toss up and doesn't matter. I think they look cool and perform well IME. Personal opinion. Not to mention when you find them they are usually a bit cheaper than all the other fancy, plastic pointed counter parts. Deer don't take fancy bullets to be put in the freezer.

Last edited by brinky72; 09/10/13.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.