-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many of the mentally ill had lesser issues as children and the serious psychological problems only showed up when they were older, generally early adulthood.

[Linked Image from ]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
It's just my opinion Kevin. Hell if it's so simple, prove me wrong.

When you assert a fact you need to provide the justification you used to decide that fact. You can't ask others to disprove your argument. You sound like one of the wizards from the old days who looked at chicken guts to make decisions.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
That's my point, I don't see that you can PROVE it one way or another; AT THIS POINT. This is something that can be SCIENTIFICALLY proven or dis-proven. Correlation doesn't mean causation, but it sure the hell means that someone ought to look a little deeper; on that we can agree.

With all the money that this government spends, surely we could fund a scientific study to see if these meds are preventing more than the cause, or are the causation.

We know that most of the meds do suppress psychotic tendencies; that's how they got approved by the FDA. And that little nasty side effect of causing what you're trying to stop, well I'll bet there's a whole lot less science behind that, because that's just something that's inconvenient for the drug companies.

So just a straight up triple blind study ought to cover the issue; this really shouldn't be a hard one to do.

No one will take a seriously mentally ill person off their meds for any reason. Think what happens if they murder people because they were denied their meds for your experiment.

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As a scientist, I want to note that correlation does not imply causality. EVEN IF all these mass killers were taking psychotropic medications as stated, that does not PROVE that the medications CAUSED them to commit the murders. Any time correlation is observed, one must look for a possible common cause. PERHAPS the common cause in this case is that all these people committed the murders because they were mentally ill, AND they also were taking the medications because they were mentally ill. Obviously the medications didn't work as intended, which would be a better conclusion that to assume that the medications caused the violence.

As another example: Many people who die of heart attacks were found to have been taking nitrates, but that doesn't prove that nitrates cause heart attacks; it proves that people who die of heart attacks and those who take nitrates both do so because of a common factor: heart disease.

To infer that there would be fewer mass murders if psychotropic medications were eliminated is as faulty logic as to suggest that there would be fewer heart attacks if nitrates were eliminated.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
how many of these medicines have as a known side effect suicidal thoughts?

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The NRA is routinely in support of more gun control. The majority of gun owners are simpletons who will and have been in support of their own disarmament.
That's not correct EE....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey Hawkeye, what about this:

Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
There were mentally unstable people prior to the 1960s (when the prescription, by psychiatrists, of psychotropic medications started becoming routine in the general population), yet there was not even a small fraction the rate of these types of murders.

Where is the data to establish that the frequency of "mass murders" per capita has gone up in the time frame referenced?

I don't think that's been established.

In fact, I recall hearing the results of a study not too long ago that said the frequency had remained fairly constant.

Could be that mass murders just seem to be more frequent because news travels faster and is sensationalized ad nauseum.

Back in the day, if a mass murder happened, it'd be in the newspaper for a day or three. Not on TV and the internet 24-7.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ConradCA

When you assert a fact you need to provide the justification you used to decide that fact. You can't ask others to disprove your argument. You sound like one of the wizards from the old days who looked at chicken guts to make decisions.

So I have to go out and conduct a study in order to have an opinion on this matter?

I posted a vid, does that count? grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The grandaddy of all gun control is the '68 GCA which the NRA supported. When I said "gun owners" I meant everybody in the US who owns a gun. As much support as there is for gun control, one has to conclude that yes, the majority of gun owners ARE for more gun control. Look at the stuff on this thread alone and this place is representative of hard core gun owners.

What everybody who is in support of such legislation needs to ask themselves is this: Do we really want folks who can't be trusted with guns walking around free themselves?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Going along with what I just said...it's the same assclowns that let all the crazies out of the mental institutions, then closed those institutions as cost cutting measures and because they were cruel, that want to ban anybody who has ever had psychotropics prescribed from owning guns.

A friend of mine is a paraplegic. He was in the hospital for Pneumonia. A doctor saw his toolkit for his wheelchair and called security because it had a small knife in it. The next thing he knew, he was carted down to the psych ward and pumped full of psychotropics. I guess he's a dangerous crazy and should be forever barred from owning weapons. Oh well, [bleep] him as long as everybody gets to keep their Citori and hunt [bleep] quails.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So I have to go out and conduct a study in order to have an opinion on this matter?

No. But you have to provide an argument backed up by real evidence to support your claims.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are also able to see or hear about more of these killings now that we have the internet and media today which did not exist say 30 or 40 years ago.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 06/11/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a nephew in his mid teens who has ADHD and is considered to be border line Aspergers. He is very smart in many respects, but struggles at school. From a pre teen he refused to take medication as he "did not want to be different".

I don't know what the cause of these conditions are, but I can assure people they are real and go a lot deeper than being a naughty or difficult child.

Discipline and routine help, but the real help is one to one time with a caring/loving/understanding and patient adult. Unfortunately, life simply does not allow for the amount of this support he really needs.

Last edited by Pete E; 06/11/14.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ConradCA

No. But you have to provide an argument backed up by real evidence to support your claims.

Oh chill the fugg out. I posted an 11 minute video that supports my 'claim'.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Adam Lanza had Aspergers.

While research suggests that people diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders, including those with Asperger's, do show more aggressive behavior compared to the their peers, experts say that the aggression, which is usually characterized by more frequent tantrums, pushing or shoving, is very different than the behavior witnessed last Friday.

Previous studies have shown that aggressive behavior among people diagnosed with autism spectrum conditions happen 20 percent to 30 percent more often than the general population.

"But we are not talking about the kind of planned and intentional type of violence we have seen at Newtown," Butter noted, according to the Associated Press. "These types of tragedies have occurred at the hands of individuals with many different types of personalities and psychological profiles."

and a crazy mother that plied him with violent video games and gave him guns...

Last edited by jimmyp; 06/11/14.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
The NRA is routinely in support of more gun control. The majority of gun owners are simpletons who will and have been in support of their own disarmament.
That's not correct EE....

"The National Rifle Association has been in support of workable, enforceable gun control legislation since its very inception in 1871."

�NRA Executive Vice President Franklin L. Orth
NRA's American Rifleman Magazine, March 1968, P. 22

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,462
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.