9 577 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition knife & tool sharpener blueridgemhg 04/22/24
SPF to safarihunter
7 705 more...
Re: AG Composites/Alamo Precision Rifles stock Direct_Drive 04/22/24
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Someone has to be sitting on a Defiance XM waiting for a stock…
'
Your market is slim for the XM size action.
I would post on both Long Range Hunting and Long Range Only.
24 2,610 more...
IC B2
Hunting Optics Jump to new posts
Re: Leupold 2.5x20 Ultralight Discontinued Ghostman 04/22/24
I'll probably lose sleep over that LOL NOT
32 4,841 more...
Long Range Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Savage 110 Long Range Hunter in 6.5-284...Thoughts? BooBear 04/22/24
Having a Savage rifle is like taking your sister to the prom, but they shoot good, and nothing to look at.
10 1,085 more...
Custom Rifles & Wildcats Jump to new posts
Re: Vanguard .250 Savage Brad 04/22/24
Very nice - one of my all-time favorite cartridges.
20 1,956 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: Battery Qustion? AKislander 04/22/24
I think you've been told some BS.
22 1,698 more...
Re: Battery Qustion? LRoyJetson 04/22/24
I cant find the drane
can you fix thes batterys i can male to you to fix
thanks frend

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
22 1,698 more...
Re: Iphone 14 & iPhone 12 Both Unlocked kappa8 04/22/24
Which carrier? Interested in the 12. (Unlocked immaterial, non-Verizon can create issues for my Verizon plan)
9 1,006 more...
Custom Rifles & Wildcats Jump to new posts
Re: Vanguard .250 Savage BooBear 04/22/24
Nice rig, great caliber
20 1,956 more...
IC B3
Re: Scopes............. Big Stick 04/22/24
Yet another try. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

To be continued. Hint................
5,072 517,119 more...
Re: Today is Earth Day...How are you Celebrating? Salmonella 04/22/24
Loving these responses...🤣🤣🤣
58 3,104 more...
Predators and Varmints Jump to new posts
Working up a load for .22-250 Q_Sertorius 04/22/24
A few months ago, I picked up an almost finished, apparently never fired FN-action, custom .22-250. With her brand new 12x SWFA scope, bipod, and sling, she's a svelte 13.8 pounds with a 26" barrel. I've attached a picture below. The price, even after finishing her up and putting a scope on her, was right. That's all there is to say about that. It's time to sight her in and then work up some handloads. Part of the reason I got this rifle was to experiment with mid-range shooting and start using a scope with turret dials for the first time in my life. I have been very successful using Kentucky windage for hunting, but it does sometimes get a bit hard to make the right holdover or offset at longer ranges, so I want to develop my skills in that regard. I'm only planning to shoot ground hogs and targets (and any coyotes that happen to come out in broad daylight while doing the same) out to 600 yards, so I don't think I need to consider any of the heavy bullets, but I would like to better understand my rifle so I can have the right stuff on hand when I start experimenting. And, as you can see, she's pretty.

As far as I can tell, after measuring it several times, she has a 1-14 twist barrel, which means she was designed to shoot very light bullets, right? That is my understanding after reading this: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/22-250-twist-rate-chart/#:~:text=For%20.,except%20the%20most%20heavy%20cartridges.

Is the chart correct that I should expect the best results from bullets 50 grains and under?

If so, are there any bullets which people particularly recommend? Ground hogs aren't particularly hard to kill as long as you hit them anywhere in the body, but I would like something that gives accurate results as far out as possible.

I have heard of light bullets tearing themselves to pieces if fired in too fast a twist (I don't think I will have that problem). I have also heard of massive instability issues when using the wrong bullet weights in .22 caliber rifles.

I have also read the following on here:

Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
The formula is to stay under 300,000 RPM
MV x 720 ÷ Twist = Bullet RPM

From: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...342200/re-new-22-250-barrel#Post19342200

As far as I can tell, a bullet would have to be going ~5800 FPS in a 1-14 barrel to get close to 300,000 RPM. For reference, the factory loads I picked up for sighting in the rifle are Hornady 50-grain VMAX at 3800 FPS. Clearly no issues there. But that cannot be the entire story, right? Where does this 300,000 RPM come from? Where does 720 come from? Just trying to understand the science behind the equation so I can gain greater understanding.

I'm also trying to understand the relationship between twist rate and bullet length, because that must play some role, right? A 55-grain all copper bullet is longer than a 55-grain lead cored bullet. Surely that plays a role in the stability to some extent, right?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.
18 1,727 more...
Re: City of Grants Pass Vs Supreme Court flintlocke 04/22/24
I think it's worse in GP than the big cities in one way..the number of homeless druggies is in a much higher proportion to the taxpaying population. Back in the hippy years the Illinois Valley west of GP became a cradle to the drug culture...communes and the whole scene. The Josephine County authorities never cracked down on the drug culture, it became entrenched in the lifestyle of drugs, wrecked families, and entitlement programs feeding the cycle and now we are reaping the harvest of 3 generations of druggies...giving GP an unending supply of addicts far out of proportion to it's population. When all is said and done, it's a testament to the destructive human result of government assistance.
43 3,209 more...
Savage Collectors Jump to new posts
Re: Added #6 to the to the group of "G"s Rick99 04/22/24
I've been lucky enough to find a B, F and a G, like yours, in that condition with the high polish receiver. Would like to find the other models to go with them but not holding my breath.

They appear to be in the 304xxx to 319xxx serial range but not all in that range have the high polish and if they did doesn't mean they still do. So, I think finding one like LBK's is pretty slim.
26 2,240 more...
Re: BREAKING Fetterman says need for Safe,Pure,Taxed marijuana RHClark 04/22/24
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by RHClark
Yea, that's unfortunate. The mistaken assumption you are making however is that legality mattered to those jerk off's you hired. You honestly think those idiots wouldn't be high except for the law? Yes, the government will operate it at their usual level of corruption. I think it boils down to whether you believe we are better off now with the government in control of alcohol than we were in the days when alcohol was illegal. Marijuana legalization bears much the same parallels in history except that it is less lethal.
A lot of people base their morality on what's legal and what's not. What legalizing MJ has done/will do is increase the number of users.

Do you think we should make alcohol illegal, again? If not, why? Doesn't the exact same argument apply?
It's within the bounds of prudence.
One difference, however, is that alcohol is food, THC is not.

I wouldn't call it food. If you think it's food, just see how long you can live consuming nothing except alcohol. It would be more accurate to call it a dose dependent liver toxin. You can consume enough alcohol to kill you pretty easily. You can't consume enough THC in any natural form to kill you.

Not only that but the Asians have used marijuana as a food source for over 2000 years.
71 4,741 more...
Big Game Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: 7mm-08 139 grain Hornady CX data bowmanh 04/22/24
The Hornady 11th edition manual lists a max of 41.5 grains of Varget with 139 grain bullets for the 7mm08 with a velocity of 2800+. That includes the 139 grain GMX. H4350 isn't listed.
4 542 more...
Re: If Trump is elected what are his first moves steve4102 04/22/24
He will be a man alone on an island .

The Senate will not confirm a single cabinet member unless they are Swamp/Establishment approved.

That will put his administration in the same boat as 2017.

He will not get elected, but if by some miracle he manages to pull it off, Jeffries will impeach him on day one and the Senate will convict
112 5,560 more...
Re: What exactly isn't manufactured in the USA --> Leupold VX5HD and VX6HD Darryle 04/22/24
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Darryle…. Just remembered about this. The magazine Precision Rifle Shooter appears to be a “sub-publication” of Guns and Ammo and the subscription card is for G&A. I’m happy to send you the magazine and perhaps you can get in touch with them and get the “scoop” on a subscription.

If you’d like me to send it to you just PM me your address and I’ll get it sent out. 👍🏼

No need, I do appreciate it though. I will subscribe and buy the back issues I want.

Thanks Darryle
70 10,285 more...
Freshwater Jump to new posts
Re: Strange catches Azshooter 04/22/24
I thought about my strange catches over the past 65 years while fishing last week.

Had a young sea lion grab a crankbait near San Pedro Island in Mexico. He tore off at full speed, lost most of my line.

Was trolling along on way back from Tortuga island in Sea of Cortez. Suddenly the reel started singing! By the time we turned the boat around and gave chase the thing had stripped off half the line, 150 yds. We chased it for 45 minutes gradually gaining line. It wouldn't stop or turn. Finally got the boat close and discovered the lure had caught the very tip of the tail of a gigantic 10 foot basking shark! We had used up some time and it was getting close to sunset, so I cut the line and left the area.

Like others I caught a few birds. A blue footed booby and a western grebe.

Not sure if these qualify as strange catches or not:

Lost a floating rapala to a largemouth bass and caught the bass several hours later and got the lure back. (10 acre pond)

Was flyfishing Honoeye lake in NY in front of where my grandfather's cottage used to be. Caught a small sunfish on a popper. Stripped it in quickly and a 4 lb largemouth grabbed the fish! The sunfish fell off the hook and the popper hooked the bass which I landed.
51 12,310 more...
Re: Thought-Provoking Question OGB 04/22/24
Pickled herring
26 1,934 more...
Re: Yard Sale! mikeinid 04/22/24
Seconds on the bipods if they are Harris brand
7 1,230 more...
Re: Cop roughs up an 18 year old female Jackson_Handy 04/22/24
Originally Posted by Strop10
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
The main take away from a majority of Strops posts are

1. All cops are evil
2. Cops shouldn't exist
3. Cops have never done anything positive, ever.

To argue with this irrational fùcking retard that can not comprehend reality is a complete waste of time.

Just agree and move on. All cops suck, are evil, should be murdered, the world would be better.

The end. Maybe one day he'll get his wish and the police will magically go away, I'm rooting for him.

You're taking this personally, which is a sign of narcissism, or maybe you're taking it personally because you're just a bad cop.

If you were a good, mature cop delivering good policing I'd expect you to see the difference between those criticized and yourself.

If you can see the difference but fell you must defend bad cops out of some tribal instinct, then you are a big part of the problem.

I'm not taking anything personally. I am making an objective observation. This incident are like many. An idiot did something wrong and should be held accountable.

He hates police. He will never acknowledge or discuss anything positive police do. That's fine.

There is zero reason to argue with him. Just agree and move on. Yes police are evil.

Several aircraft have flown over you this week and no pieces flew off and hit you. If not this week, certainly that is the case in your lifetime.

Does that mean you hate aviation mechanics for failing to heap praise upon them for their quality of work living up to minimum advertised claims?

I don't hate aviation mechanics(despite my lack of fawning when they correctly use fasteners) but it seems reasonable to assume you are consistent in your approach to life.

I believe that airplane mechanics are generally trying to do their job correctly and I don't bìtch incessantly when they make a mistake or fail to do the job correctly. But I appreciate the ones that take their job seriously and do a good job.

That's the difference between me and you, reasonableness. All you do bìtch an besmerch.
423 29,601 more...
WTB-Single Stage Reloading Presses Longcarbine 04/22/24
Looking for some cheap used single stage reloading presses. Nothing fancy, Lee's will work.
3 419 more...
Re: WTT- Tikka magnum bolt for .223 bolt mpwolf 04/22/24
still looking. I would also consider buying a .223 bolt if there's one looking for a home.
2 220 more...
Page 412 of 578 1 2 410 411 412 413 414 577 578
AX24

524 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,541
Posts18,472,864
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.