Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: Why does John Tester support Ukraine over Montana? Stickfight 6 seconds ago
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Quite litterally

Nice troll.
106 2,295 more...
Big Game Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Scored some brass this morning! bowmanh 26 seconds ago
It seem to be difficult for find brass for many cartridges. I can see 35 Rem and 375 Win being scarce. I was looking for .338 Win Mag recently and haven't found much. That seems a bit surprising since it's a pretty common chambering. I guess the wars are taking their toll on our supplies.
21 2,113 more...
Re: Jon Tester, The Gift That Keeps On Giving! BuzzH 28 seconds ago
Originally Posted by Calvin
This is an awesome thread for a Sunday afternoon.

Yeah, Sunday's really bring out the best in the campfire (fake) Christians.
232 6,438 more...
IC B2
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: 6.5 creedmoor brass ChanceD 1 minute ago
Still have plenty. Thanks for y’all’s interest.
9 1,064 more...
Ask The Gunwriters Jump to new posts
Re: New rifle with issues?? 338reddog 4 minutes ago
It is the new Remington company. It is their new Long Range in 7mm PRC
I have not shot it or even bought ammunition or loading supplies for it.
Still need to get base and rings here
Not sure about the red either, with out the flash it appears more of a copper/rust color
The rivet is proud on the exterior of the bolt. I can not tell on the inside as it’s covered by the brass
I did measure trigger pull and its crisp and consistent at 3.75 lbs
9 345 more...
Re: Silver scope rings 1” (10 sets) Leupold and Weaver Joe_S 4 minutes ago
Sunday bump
12 1,065 more...
Re: How good do you think Stormy Dainels In the Sack?? plumbum 5 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Swampman700
She made the whole thing up. She admitted that.

?

When and where?
84 7,776 more...
Hunting Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Kimber - How they can build the "perfect" hunting rifle. Nrut 5 minutes ago
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by rocpyro
I’ve seen it stated several times in this thread that suppressor hunting isn’t for them. I understand the opposition to further government intrusion by filling out information for the ATF to get what is essentialy a muffler. It’s crazy, I agree with you. But I think there’s actually a majority of people that simply haven’t ever done it.

You don’t know what you don’t know.

There’s the other, minimally more educated response from those that have used a can on a hunting rifle, and forgo frequent use because hanging a heavy can on the wrong end of a 24” barrel sucks. It does. It kills the balance point, speed and carriability of a rifle vs simply having your 22-24” barrel naked.

Then there’s Keechi_kid’s rifle. I’ve handled it. I’ve shot it. It’s a completely different thing from what 99% of suppressor experiences have been before. It’s worth the effort and expense, plain and simple. It’s like nothing out there that hasn’t enjoyed such a careful and targeted parts selection process. It balances like it should. It carries like it should, it shoots like a nice hunting rifle should shoot and it’s fast to bear and swing.

Another point I’d like to make is this: millions of people already own suppressors and hundreds more are new owners daily. It’s becoming very common. The point of “the average hunter doesn’t need this” was made. Well I know the average hunter, and so do you. 1 or 2 center fire rifles, a Rimfire or 2, a shotgun and maybe an AR are all they’ve got. Am I right? You know these people, they’re your coworkers and neighbors. They’re not gonna have 50 rifles. You know who will though? People who own suppressors. People that have taken the time and effort to go through the process, people that probably know and have utilized a couple gunsmiths services. Now why oh why would a gun company not cater to that guy and instead put out more of the same rifle configuration the market, and our gun safes are already saturated with? Let’s evolve, let’s make something amazing, let’s market to the guy that will probably buy more than one rifle a year. This rifle is a perfect example of what that should be, and so is catering to the newer smaller cartridges with appropriately sized actions.

If you haven’t had the pleasure of trying something similar in the field, treat yourself. It’s a real eye opener.

The cost isn't an issue for me, I just lack interest in a product that I think is way over-priced and something that I don't see any practical use for me in my situation. If I lived where hogs were a problem, I'd probably own a suppressed AR fitted with a thermal sight to kill them and a tractor with a backhoe to bury them, but I don't live in that scenario, so I don't have a use or need for those things.

Firearms manufactures have marketing people who, at least in theory, research the market to determine what potential customers want to see in their product lines and react accordingly. Sometimes they take a Field of Dreams approach, build it and they will come, but they are usually more conservative. Winchester's WSSM line of cartridges looks like a build it and they will come marketing decision that didn't work out well for anyone. Not many people bought rifles chambered for the WSSM cartridges and 20 years later the factory ammo is almost impossible to find and way overpriced when people who own rifles chambered for the WSSM cartridges do find it. If there is a large enough market demand for a short barrel suppressor ready bolt action rifle, somebody will build it to fill that void and meet that demand. The Ruger American Ranch is a short barrel suppressor ready rifle that has been on the market for several years, but I don't see many of them at the range or in stores. A lot of rifles made today come with treaded barrels, Ruger American Predators and Ranchers as well as some of the Mossberg Patriots and some of the Kimbers, etc., so there must be a sustainable market demand for suppressor ready rifles.

I am probably among a small minority of gun owners, in that I am a tinker and few of my non-collectable firearms remain in their as cataloged configuration. Most of the gun owners who I know, probably 95% or more, don't go to the effort or expense to modify their firearms to better fit them and their perceived needs. I know that the few people who I invite into my gun room look at and possibly handle my accumulation of stuff and then go home and shoot whatever they hunt with whatever they have. Like I've said many times, different folks, different strokes.

I understand how you feel. If you aren’t interested in suppressors, you just aren’t. I do believe your mind may change if you try one.

However, I disagree with you on there already being rifles like this available. Most of the suppressor ready rifles available have major shortcomings. The Rugers are cheap and feel cheap. A lot of others are built with barrels that are too heavy or too long. A rifle needs to be put together with the suppressor in mind. People like rifles with barrels that are 20”-24” long for the most part. Adding a suppressor doesn’t negate the fact anything over 24” feels really long in most situations.

Most manufacturers are treating suppressor ready rifles as if the only people who want to shoot a rifle with a suppressor are among the shooters with a less sophisticated palate. My true argument is that a market exists and is growing for a manufacturer to cater to someone who likes and appreciates a quality rifle with good handling characteristics AND a suppressor. I think Kimber has the product that is closest and easiest to bring this to market. I have handled Ruger Americans. I helped my brother put one together for his kids (kids overwhelmingly prefer suppressed rifles by the way) for Christmas this year. Even with the timney trigger, it’s never going to feel nice.

I have fired rifles with suppressors and I just don't see that they add anything of value that is worth owning for me. What other people, particularly other people's children, choose to buy or do is of little interest to me. My kids have all been shooting multiple firearms without suppressors since they were preteens and seem to have come through the experience without any noticeable damage to their hearing or their self-worth.

Manufactures generally try to build products that they can sell for a profit and in a volume that is in sync with their production capacity. If you believe that Kimber would be able to sell a lot of units and make a profit selling rifles with the same or similar specs to the one that you've put together for yourself, you should share your thoughts and blueprint with them.

Among my accumulation of rifles are 14 Ruger Americans. Does my ownership of the Rugers indicate that I have an unsophisticated palate?
How many more ways are you going to tell us that you don't care for the OP suppressed rifle?
74 5,933 more...
Re: REDUCED: Sako mounts: OptiLock Joe_S 5 minutes ago
Sunday bump
35 2,994 more...
Re: RIP Harvey Salmonella 5 minutes ago
It sucks losing friends.
I've lost too many.
Condolences 🙏
21 1,087 more...
IC B3
Re: REDUCED: Tikka scope mounts. Warne and Sako OptiLock Joe_S 5 minutes ago
Sunday bump
15 1,150 more...
Re: First livestock kill by reintroduced wolves in Colorado callnum 5 minutes ago
Wrong dumb fugg. 2 on public most anywhere one on private.

Most years I kill just the 2 on public. It’s really not hard.
51 4,783 more...
Re: Q K22 5 minutes ago
45,346 3,998,607 more...
Re: REDUCED Variety of chokes for Beretta XTrema Joe_S 5 minutes ago
Sunday bump
21 1,393 more...
Re: Chicken house pics, share your pics packrat77 5 minutes ago
[Linked Image from iili.io]

There's a little feed room under the roost accessable from outside that holds five bags of feed. I only have a dozen chickens.
23 870 more...
Re: REDUCED: Browning X-Bolt scope mounts (Browning and Game Reaper) Joe_S 5 minutes ago
Sunday bump
25 1,411 more...
Re: Weaver Grand Slam 1” and 30mm Joe_S 5 minutes ago
Sunday bump
14 1,501 more...
Re: NOS Leupold Dual dovetail, matte, 1” and 30mm Joe_S 6 minutes ago
Sunday bump
14 1,080 more...
Re: CIA operating troll farms in Ukraine bowmanh 6 minutes ago
An interesting story but not really surprising. They apparently will do nearly anything to get rid of Trump.
21 1,487 more...
Re: Leupold standard bases for Browning A Bolt Joe_S 6 minutes ago
Sunday bump
14 896 more...
Re: Leupold standard bases for Savage bolt actions Joe_S 6 minutes ago
Sunday bump
15 833 more...
AR and Tactical Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: PSA Lower on sale old70 6 minutes ago
I just bought 2 stripped lowers from them for $29.95 each. Not sure what they are going to be yet.

Old70
25 2,587 more...
Re: Leupold standard and QR bases for Rem 541 Joe_S 7 minutes ago
Sunday bump
14 1,004 more...
Re: Leupold standard bases for Browning BLR Joe_S 7 minutes ago
Sunday bump
14 888 more...
Re: Leupold standard bases for Weatherby Mark V Joe_S 7 minutes ago
Sunday bump
16 945 more...
Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 62 63
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,719
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.