24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Food, Cooking, and Game Preparation Jump to new posts
Re: Tonight's Supper/Dinner was/is ? New_2_99s 16 seconds ago
Right on Marty !!
15,650 2,645,401 more...
Hunting Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Kimber - How they can build the "perfect" hunting rifle. hh4whiskey 33 seconds ago
^^^

Don’t sweat those that don’t run suppressors or much less carry them in the brush, in and out of vehicles, box blinds, Treestands, etc. wink

First, I’ve got an Adirondack in 6.5 in a Montana stock, that’s around 6# with sling, scope, suppressor, and ammo. There are days I’d cut that 18” factory tube to 16”. It’s likely one of the best shooting/hunting setups I have. Heck, I even had a 70 classic stainless in 270 chopped to 18” and threaded. It’s a much heavier setup, but shoots/hunts like a dream and is extremely quiet and easy to shoot well. I’ve got other, noodle barrel rifles, but they sit much more now. Next 308 or 7-08 I set up will be 16-17”, for sure. Anything longer is too long. wink
11 431 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: FS Leupold 3-9 Compact Gloss bt8897 54 seconds ago
SPF
2 147 more...
IC B2
Hunting Optics Jump to new posts
Re: Leupold Mark 4HD drop_point 1 minute ago
Originally Posted by Big Stick
It's funny how Professional Victim Lying Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit,can "justify" their Thievery. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Not to slight your consistency,with a Fascination for Male Sexual Organs and your "version" of a pay check. Hint.

Don't "forget" to steal pics as you do. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist,which are welllllll beyond your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Fortunately for you and your ilk,Whining is free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your hearts,for trying so hard. Hint.

Just sayin'.............

I even attributed it to you, Betty Sue. I know you're embarrassed by your "weeerrllllddd clawwwwsss" mounting job. Just keep crying, as you say "file your hurt feelers report" as the estrogen pumps through your veins and the flow fills your panties.
95 12,791 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: Its meme time DMc 1 minute ago
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
78,303 14,653,552 more...
Re: Will the Jewish Temple be rebuilt one day…? RJY66 1 minute ago
Its real simple fellas. The Church is the Church, and Israel is Israel. Two things different are not the same. If you are confused about this don't feel bad. Even the Apostles didn't get it at first and the church as a whole has been screwing it up for 2000 years more or less. Most preachers do not properly use the Old Testament and add further to the confusion.

But don't stay confused. It leads to two big errors.

Error number 1......hating Jews. That's just ignorant. Don't get between God and the people to whom he has made "irrevocable" promises. They are a train wreck right now but let God handle them. Don't think that the church has taken their place. We haven't. The Jews are "his people". What is the church? The Bride of Christ right? We run around saying "Jesus is the Messiah", but what does that mean? It means Jesus is the King of Israel. What is the bride of a King. A queen right? What does a queen do? Sit beside her husband on a throne! That is what we are going to be doing in the Millennial Kingdom, which is going to be headquartered in Jerusalem. If you are Jew hater waiting on the Iraqis or the Russians, or the Chinese, or America or anyone else to destroy Israel......its gonna be a long wait.

Error number 2.........becoming a Judaizer. This is a Christian who tries to please God by attempting to observe parts of the Mosaic Law which they usually wind up completely half-assing to the point it would be funny if it were not sad. Observing dietary laws, putting on a shawl to pray, keeping the feast days, tithing because of Malachi 3, Jewish roots silliness etc. Don't do this either. Read Galatians. Don't fall from grace.

Hope this helps but it probably won't! laugh
44 2,072 more...
Re: Biden Repeats Debunked Story About How He Was Arrested local_dirt 2 minutes ago
Just die, mf'er.
13 620 more...
Re: Sears model 53 ( model 70 action and barrel) with 6x Leupold Troutnut 2 minutes ago
Evening bump
15 1,293 more...
Gunsmithing Jump to new posts
Re: Cheekpiece is too big richj 2 minutes ago
only 1/4" removed but all the shadow line is removed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
13 851 more...
Re: Does anybody really think Donald Trump can win the election? akrange 3 minutes ago
It Boils Down to Taken Out the Trash..

Wack for My Daddy Oh

There’s Whiskey in the Jar 0

Cum On du Da da Rain ..
29 1,029 more...
IC B3
Hunting Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: PRIME Time............... kwg020 3 minutes ago
Originally Posted by 6mmCreedmoor
Morro Bay California

https://www.morrobay.org/

I usually stay here.Inn at Morro Bay. Golf course across the street, Very quiet here,

https://www.innatmorrobay.com/?gad_...Ijr_okR9URmIThYHRyarrPSnq3gaApxhEALw_wcB
That looks like a nice place to stay.

kwg
21,084 2,318,603 more...
Re: More scopes, Leupold, Sightron, Bushnell bbassi 3 minutes ago
Leupold Vari-X 3-9X32 compact, duplex, gloss, 95%, $220

I'll take this if not spoken for. PM inbound.
5 419 more...
Re: Case XX Bowie Knife: I Had No Idea TheLastLemming76 3 minutes ago
The convex profile is my favorite hunting blade grind. Scandi for more of a survivalist edge harder use knife.
9 391 more...
Re: Michigan get together Whelenman 3 minutes ago
The club just emailed me and said the CMP shoot is canceled! Woosissi !!!
139 14,458 more...
Re: College AKislander 4 minutes ago
The community college suggestion is a good one for more than just the cost savings. You will probably receive more attention from and access to the instructor and a better education in a small classroom in a community college than you would spending the first two years in a major university in huge lecture halls with a couple hundred students and little access to the instructor.

I did just that for two years and then applied directly to the engineering department at a large university with an excellent program. The community college had a program set up for students to study and prepare to apply directly into the various engineering departments, i.e., civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, etc. When I got to the university, I was intimidated at first because I thought my peers would have received a better education at the university than I got at community college. I soon found that my skills were actually better than most of the students who did their first two years at the university. I did well and even received scholarships from the engineering department based on my academic performance.

I went back to the university and got a Masters in Engineering after I had worked a few years.

Through all my years of schooling, from kindergarten through graduate school, I think the best instruction I received was at that community college.

Regarding CrashPad's advice to learn AutoCAD rather than getting the architecture degree. Definitely learn AutoCAD. With that skill she'll be able to easily set out her own shingle and call her own shots rather than being someone else's employee. Having an architect's license will only help her to do that and it will give her more control as her career progresses.
16 539 more...
Handguns Jump to new posts
Re: Value of a S & W M/629 no dash 4" ? Slavek 4 minutes ago
Originally Posted by GregK
No dash 6"
Gunbroker 1043424988
Sold for: $755.00

a 4" pinned barrel
Gunbroker: 1037370944
Sold for: $1,095.00
Built in 1981 according to the serial number

Without seeing yours, value $800-$900

Bro, for $800-$900 you can get one of the new ones with lock and MIM parts. Personally it does not matter much to me, but boomers think the older the better, let them think that.
9 520 more...
Big Game Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Reloading supplies in your area? earlybrd 5 minutes ago
Found a good supply of h4831 that’s a plus👍
17 816 more...
Re: VP Harris' USSS agent lost her cool earlybrd 7 minutes ago
Can’t say that I blame her
29 2,294 more...
Remington 870 Express 16ga 28” Remchoke Shotgun MuskieMan223 7 minutes ago
Excellent shape, pm me an email or cell to send pics, out on the road and will post them publicly tomorrow

28” matte finish comes with 1 full remchoke
Wooden stock

Asking 750 shipped … offers considered
0 21 more...
Re: Oliver travel trailers Angus55 8 minutes ago
Locus’s, those off road pop ups are cool, had two regular ones, that’s a young man’s game, very nice for hunting trips.
21 921 more...
Predators and Varmints Jump to new posts
Re: new 22-250 barrel KenMi 9 minutes ago
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
Big mistake on 1-8 twist but you'll learn from your mistake.

Quote; Definitely a different animal... flat shooting long ranger. : Unquote Heavy bullets do not shoot flatter than a faster and lighter bullet. Actually, they drop like a rock. In real world most shots at live targets are taken at less than 400 yards so no need for a heavier bullet less you are shooting at game too large for what your cartridge was designed for.

At least some people get it, instead of virtual shooting big numbers on paper. A 12 is money. Hint
17 1,972 more...
Re: Speaker Mike Johnson Throws Brandon Herrera DIRECTLY UNDER THE BUS.. FOR AN EXTREME RINO.. local_dirt 10 minutes ago
Originally Posted by steve4102
Brandon is a smart guy, TX and America would benefit with him in The House, but it’s highly doubtful that TX will stray off the Bush Dynasty Plantation and elect an outsider, especially when Gov Abbott supports Gonzales.

As far as i can see, abbott is a lyin bitch rino, too.
9 742 more...
Freshwater Jump to new posts
Re: 2 piece fishing rod Gooch_McGrundle 10 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Solitario_Lupo
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Look into salmon and steelhead rods. Lamiglas and Okuma make some inexpensive options that are quite good. If they can handle salmon, they can handle muskies. Many lures, especially spinners/spoons/plugs are basically the same between the species.
Only problem is they are made for smaller lures and can’t handle larger ones for Muskie

An 8” 15-40# rod rated for 1-8oz? I’ve been undergunned I guess.
8 721 more...
Re: Union Take MartinStrummer 11 minutes ago
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by Huntz
You can opt to have none of your dues go to political parties.
Union Officials are voted in by the members that bother to vote. Just like Political elections .
No one votes them selves in . Bad Union officers get in by apathetic Union members . Just like Political officers.

I'm a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, my union falls under the umbrella of the Teamsters. I used to be UTU until I promoted to engineer. I've been in a labor union since 2012 when I hired out on the railroad. Ever since I hired out the old guys who hired on before 1985 were staunch Democrats, saying I needed to vote my job.

So I started under Obama and currently under Biden, my best four years on the railroad was under Trump. The work was as much as we could handle, and until the plandemic with its supply chain issues slowed things down. This last year the guys that have hired on recently have a bleak future for work as Bidenomics is going to cause more damage than Covid.

The heads of the unions are just another political class who are out of touch with its constituents. So when I vote, I vote for whomever isn't the incumbent. I don't know if that's the right vote or not as we get so little info on the candidates outside of our regional level. However, I want to disrupt the status quo. The national unions aren't in favor of the workers anymore IMO, they're just another political ruling (lobbying) class that wants to rub elbows with DC elites for a photo OP.

So I vote my job like the old guys said to do, and I tell everyone the same. I vote for the person that says and will actually try to stimulate our economy. As I told the first "old head" who told me I sounded like a republican, "Without an economy I don't work, and if Obama is so great why did we put 200 coal trains in storage when I was less than a year on the job?" The company never did pull all those trains out of storage, and under Biden we've been parking even more.

So of course I'm going to vote my job, I'm going to vote for the candidate that wants me doing mine. I left the UTU union because the President brought up a vote that would remove the conductor's job from thru-freight trains. It failed thankfully, but I promoted and got the hell out. I never understood how reducing working conductors by 2/3 was good for anyone but the companies bottom line and more than likely some sort of kickback to the UTU president. It sure isn't good for a bloated top heavy union to cut its dues by 66%.

You're a "hoghead" huh?
I was a "mudhop" for 15 years.
BRAC (clerks) sold us down the river when they started computerizing way bills and train lists. (mid 70's)
"Iron wheels" is about all today's railroads have in common with the railroads of twenty years ago!

If I'm not mistaken, the BLE (Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers) combined with the BRT (Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen) to become the UTU (United Transportation Union).
Best I recall, the UTU didn't do a good job of representing both.
When the RR's cutoff all the brake men to go to the two man crews, I can only surmise the BRT.
With the two man crews consisting of an engineer and conductor, are both BLE?
83 3,266 more...
Predators and Varmints Jump to new posts
Re: Working up a load for .22-250 Seafire 13 minutes ago
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
Thank you for the reply. When I bought the rifle, I knew that the twist rate was going to be an uncertain factor. The seller could not tell me much of anything about the rifle. I just crossed my fingers and hoped that it would be a 1-12 or faster twist. But, since I will be shooting at 2500-4000 feet, I cannot really count on any significant altitude factor.

I already bought a couple of hundred different bullets in different variants of middle weights to try out. If it turns out that my maximum range is limited to less than 600 yards, that's not really a big deal.

Q: I may live out here in Oregon, but My family roots go back since Day 1 in the area you live in. I was born in Bluefield.

As mentioned above, the 53 VMax and a host of other bullets in that weight range would work just fine, to include the Nosler 53 grainer. This is if your rifle has a one in 14 twist or a 1 in 12. I have several 22.250- with both the one in 14 and one in 12 twists. Those bullets stabilize just fine where I live here in Oregon and our local range ( one of the larger ones on the West Coast ) in at 1250 feet altitude. We have steel plates out to 600 meters, and with bullets in that weight range, I can hit those all day long at that distance off the bench.

On the other end, where Schtick is preaching up the virtues of the 1 in 7 twist on a 22.250, I have one of those also, based on a Ruger Action that previously was a 243 barreled rifle. So I have the longer magazine on it and can seat bullets out there quite a bit. That rifle is shot mainly with 75, 80 and 88 grain bullets. And what Schtick is saying is true with it. But at the same time, that rifle can shoot many of the 50, 52, 53, 55 and 60 grains bullets out to 600 plus yards with no issues and without them blowing up or wasting themselves coming out of the barrel. Exceptions that would blow up coming out of the barrel would be the SPSX or the 50 grain TNT mentioned by TOM.. who lives just down the highway from me, here in Oregon, by about 50 miles.

So there in Tazewell Co, you should have zero issues hitting 600 yds accurately with what you have, regardless of altitude, or the twist rate. If my A.O. was where you live, my bullet choices would be covered with the 53 V Max, 53 Ballistic Tip or Varmaggeddon ( either one ), the 55s in V Max or Ballistic tip, or the SPs, the 60 Sierra HP, the Hornady 60 SP or HP. Most of the 50 and 55 grain bullets, such as the Speer TNTs ( both 50 and 55 grainers ), Sierra's HPs and SP, and about any of the 52 and 53 Match Bullets from any of the major manufacturers.

Most of the same bullets will hold up in a 1 in 7 twist also, out to 600 yds easily also.

I've shot pretty much all the bullets I mention above out of the 1 in 12 twisted rifles, ( my favorite being a Model 70, with a 28 inch barrel, with a magnum contour) and then the Ruger with a 24 inch barrel, magnum contour with the one in 8 twist and the longer magazine and throat to fit that bullet length. If you had the 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist, for ground hogs or coyotes, I'd suggest the 68 grain BTHP Hornady or the 69 grain Sierra Match King. Two of my favorite bullets, that I didn't mention above.

So I'd say you got your world covered with choices for your rifle, and the 600 yd line is well within range and accuracy potential. Your altitude should not be a hinderance there in Tazewell. Heck, me and a buddy that lives up the Hwy in Roseburg comes down to our local range, and we spend a little time shooting at steel gongs out to 600 yds, using a charge with IMR 4227 or 4198, or RL 7, with bullets in the 50 to 60 grain weights. And heck with his one in 12 twist rifle ( a Tikka), got him set up with some loads utilizing 63 Sierra SMPs and 70 gr Speer SMPs. We both have the right scopes on top with the rifle reticle to do that. His Tikka just sports an old Leupold 12 X with a target dot reticle, but it had a turret added to it at the factory after it was bought.

I wouldn't sweat your choices. The list of what to avoid is much smaller than the list of what would be good for your intended uses. Don't over think it. Ya got something you wonder about, put a round or two down the barrel with it and the barrel will tell you all you need to know about your rifle and its barrel's appetites and what it likes or doesn't.

Addendum;

I see on your profile, you are a Marine. Sempre Fi Brother. My dad was a Marine, but I was Army as I wanted to be a corpsman. Went in after college, but came out of The Army as a Nurse and a Paramedic. Never used that Pre Law degree I got in college.

good luck with your new toy.
best regards,
john chr. / seafire.
16 1,470 more...
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
AX24

547 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,289
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.