Originally Posted by Jayhawker
As a goal, an aircraft carrier should be able to do at least 40 knots because it needs that airspeed across its deck to launch planes. The USS Midway was capable of that in the late 70s although you'd think she was coming apart. I'm sure the nuke ships are capable of much more.

No way Midway could anywhere near 35, much less thirty, especially with the stabilizing bulges added in her senior years. As far as "wind", sure you can generate your own wind, but depending on aircraft launch weight, 25kts is a good rule of thumb.

Nimitz Class carriers have only TWO reactors. Enterprise has eight, she was the first nuke carrier and what they did there was install 8 SSN reactors and BTW she was the fastest of all our carriers, because of her hull SHAPE which really plays a big part in determining realistic attainable speeds. I can tell you that I saw 36 kts on NIMITZ.. j

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”