MadMooner: I was on routine patrol in my Seattle Police Harbor Patrol craft back in 1990-something off of Magnolia Bluff when through my binoculars I see a United States nuclear powered aircraft carrier "steaming" N/B out of Bremerton Harbor!
I think out loud to myself and my partner lets go west and get a photo of it.
Unbeknownst to us that aircraft carrier had been called out to sea from maintenance due to some long forgotten arab/muslim dust-up.
I start directly W/B to "intercept" the carrier as it headed N/B in Puget Sound - and then to standby once in position to photograph it.
That carrier passed us so fast we never got close to it!
And with very little wake I might add.
Our twin engined (twin Caterpillar 3208's!) craft swung huge props and could muster 40 knots top speed!
Once the carrier beat my intercepting angle of attack I tried to pace it on a parallel course from behind.
I am guesstimating here but myself and my partner thought that carrier was doing AT LEAST 55 knots (60 M.P.H. approximately!)!
I have NO idea if that carrier was at full throttle or not?
Our pictures were taken at a distance of 1.5 miles or so as the carrier passed us.
MadMooner you ask a good question, that I can not answer, but this I know for a fact, whatever their top speed is it IS impressive for such a huge craft.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy