[quote=Greyghost]Doubt it is much over 35 to 37 knots, but their is a formula that supposedly gives a fair estimate of maximum hull speed which I believe is 1.34 x the sq of water line distance between the bow and stern waves at speed. Or a close estimate just using the length at water line. Just guessing waterline at around 900' which would put close at 40 knots. Even with 4 screws, don't see it reaching much past that even if wanted. Damn sure they're not going to let it our run their support group.

Phil [/quote

I don't know what they have for surface support for a carrier now, but back then there were two threats to carriers. Submarines and missiles/aircraft. the fast attack boats under the carrier were well equipped to deal with anything in/on the water. The aircraft on the carrier could handle anything else.

When the Norks grabbed the Pueblo Enterprise took off and left the three of us to catch up as best we could when we could. the only support they didn't out run was the nukes underneath them. My best guess from being there and having the real numbers to do the calcs was that Enterprise had no trouble managing 50 MPH minimum.