Originally Posted by Greyghost
Doubt it is much over 35 to 37 knots, but their is a formula that supposedly gives a fair estimate of maximum hull speed which I believe is 1.34 x the sq of water line distance between the bow and stern waves at speed. Or a close estimate just using the length at water line. Just guessing waterline at around 900' which would put close at 40 knots. Even with 4 screws, don't see it reaching much past that even if wanted. Damn sure they're not going to let it our run their support group.

Phil

THIS.

As to JFK, she was (is) not a CVN 68 class. She, along with America CV 66 were to have been nukes originally and Bart is correct McNamara changed that and that is why both were maintenance nightmares throughout their service lives. Ostensibly, think of them as what the North Carolina class of Battleships were to the Iowas; test beds..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”