Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
One ass shot. ONE!! grin

Those are some beefy rings. Very... tacticool <g>. I'm using similar bases on my heavy 7 WSM and they do work. Never really LIKED them but I can't fault their function.

You liking that LRHS? Heaviest of all the ones I've been considering... Jordan sure likes his. Saw a box test shot with one over on LRHF that was pretty impressive.

those rings weigh about 2.5-3oz each.... they're beefy, but light.... as are the SWFA rings.

I dig LRHS.... it's the best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned. I think it has a couple of excellent features.... and the compromises are in the right places.

You could go around and around on all this schitt..... or you could pick one.... run it, figure out what you like/don't.... trip it.... buy another candidate..... repeat as necessary.

I've got several "prongs" going with gun-stuff at the moment (also building a big .33 boomer) and don't have unlimited funds so I've got time to research this while I save my pennies. But in principal I agree with your last statement. Makes sense.

When I was saying that mounts/rings might be an issue with my Kimber, it's not that I didn't know things like Warne crosslots or beefy rings exist... it's that I am not like the rest of y'all it seems in that I like the scope back towards me more than most folks. I'm running Talley 1" extensions on it now and it puts the Swaro (3.5" nominal ER) on it just where I like it. I didn't like it near as much with regular Talley's. I just mention that for illustration. Those beefy 3-screw rings in your pic would cost me at least 1/4" and probably closer to 1/2" of "back" because what stops it from going back further, is the objective bell, and those thick rings hit it considerably sooner than even regular Talley's would.

As far as I can see, there is no 30mm Talley extension ring for a Kimber 8400. I could go Leup DD but I don't like how Leup does extensions. That little shelf. I could do a Pic rial but on a KIMBER?! Nah.

I am aware that all of that might be mental masturbation; I might mount up a HSV or LRHS (which is 3.75" nominal ER, and has a bit more tube than a SHV I think) and it might be just peachy. BUT, as a general rule of thumb, I've found I like scopes further back than normal folk. So, as in your pic, when I see NO ability to come any further back, it gives me pause. Now your rifle is a long action- right?- so there's that but the point is, getting the right mounts is gonna be key for this to work for me... and the options are more limited.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!