Originally Posted by Hiaring8
I have a newer Remington 700 sps long action that has been wasting safe space so I have decided to build a rifle. I have ordered a Shilen Match Grade SS #3 contour .30, 1/10 twist barrel and plan to chamber in 30-06....Cant explain why, I have no need for one, never liked the cartridge, and really don't see myself hunting with it, but I guess it could be a nice accurate loner rifle.

Anyways, wanted to get some feedback good or bad about Shilen Match barrels.(I can always return the barrel before we start work) Can I still cerakote over the stainless finish if I desire? The number 3 contour finishes about .625 at 24" - thick enough to flute? Would that offer any real benefit? Lastly, are shilen barrels picky or when done right do they shoot well?

I plan to load a 180 nosler Partition dummy round just shy of magazine length (So it will still feed) and chamber based on that round/dimensions.

You will like it and it may just end up being your go to Big Game Rifle

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.