Dirtfarmer,

I'm betting that CZ shoots VERY well. I had a 527 in K-Hornet for a while, and it was a literal tack-driver at 100 yards, 5-shot groups with its best loads averaging under 1/2".

However, I did encounter one problem: The magazine (like most magazines for .22 Hornets) was too short to use plastic-tipped 40-grain bullets. They're the best ballistic compromise in the .22 Hornet, shooting noticeably flatter and drifting less in the wind than any other type or weight of bullet.

I could use 40-grain soft- or hollow-points in the CZ, but their BC was enough lower than the plastic-tipped 40's that 40-grain Ballistic Tips from my Ruger No. 1 .22 Hornet shot noticeably flatter and drifted less in the wind than any load in the CZ K-Hornet at any range past about 125-150 yards, despite the extra velocity. I suspect this is why Hornady's version of the old wildcat .17 Hornet is actually a little shorter than the original, the K-Hornet necked down. And of course, the plastic-tips "splode" varmints more consistently than soft or hollow-points. (Splode is a West Virginia term. Or at least that's where I've heard it most often.)

A couple of years ago I ended up with a Brno ZKW 465, the predecessor of the CZ 527, which had been rechambered to K-Hornet. The magazine is just enough longer that 40-grain plastic-tips can be used, though the Tipped Varmageddon fits easiest. At 3200+ fps, it definitely provides a little more field performance than my Ruger No 1, which gets 3000 fps or a little more with 40's from its 26" barrel.

Another thing discovered while fooling with the Brno K-Hornet is Alliant 300-MP is just enough slower than Li'l Gun to provide a little extra zip in the K-Hornet, though the difference ain't much.

All of this, of course, is typical rifle loony minutiae. Will be very interested to hear how your K-Hornets shoot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck