I can see the barrel nut if you like to play and you will try new barrels or if you will build several rem/age, I don't see a big downside other than asthetics.

If your only going down this route once its less of a savings as you will need the nut wrench and way to hold the action (action wrench)which eats up a good portion of the savings of having a smith chamber and fit.

If you are going 18" I think your slightly heavier contour isn't a bad idea as it will give some weight out front. I assume that the compact is because you will be either carrying the rifle while still hunting or want a short rifle for a blind. In either case a little weight out front helps make it more shootable.

I can't comment on the stocks as I haven't ever had a HS and my only B&C in years was the rem Ti pattern, which though light is too fat in the grip for me.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge