Originally Posted by Gitsum
Guess I am looking for pros and cons on remage barrel setups mostly, I have the knowledge and skills to do the work.

Then go for it, whatever lifts your skirt.

Although I trained and worked as a machinist before getting into computers, I don't have the equipment to do my own work other than simple jobs like bedding, trigger work or building an AR. After paying gunsmiths for a couple of builds (6.5-06AI on an Interarms Mark X action and a .338WM assembled from all-Ruger parts), I've decided there are too many good shooters out there to go that route again - at least any time soon.

For a compact hunter I chose a Ruger Scout with a 16/1" barrel. It came with a laminate stock which I replaced with Ruger's newer synthetic stock. Also added a muzzle brake, after which my hunting buddy stated there was "no recoil". (An exaggeration but it is reduced significantly.) The synthetic stock reduced the base weight to 6.25 pounds per Ruger and moved the balance point forward to just under the front action bolt. With the factory ghost ring the irons are good (for me) out past 200 yards with a 150g BT running 2699fps. The factory 10-round steel mag has been joined by synthetic 3- and 5-round mags. for hunting I will use the 3-round.

Not much more I could ask for in the way of a compact hunter.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.