True Bob but I think the point is simply one of diminishing returns. My whole point to this thread is not that somehow some physics magic happens that a smaller capacity case is faster than a larger case, 7RM in the title of my post. My point was and still is a 150 NPT at 3050 from a 270 is the ballistic equal of a 7RM with a 150 or 160 at the same velocity. I have no doubt that the various 7 mags will use the new powders and run like bullets a bit faster yet.

Having said that my 270 is running the 150 at 3050 using 61 grains of powder. I'm sure a 7 mag can run the same bullet faster - but with more recoil. I contend that my current rifle/load is, for me, about optimum - tolerable recoil, flat trajectory, and light rifle. I've grown to love the Kimber Montana platform for these reasons.

Another case in point, my Kimber 30-06 is coming around in the accuracy department - 1" groups with NPT at 2850 using Re 16 and H4350. I'm fine tuning the reloads and will pick one in the next few weeks. I can see my M70 300 WSM collecting dust as it only runs a 180 at 2950 - and it weighs 1 lb more than my Kimber 06 A bit of overlap between the 2 but is there any such thing as having too many accurate lightweight hunting rifles? ;-)

Last edited by bwinters; 09/07/16.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.