You misconstrue.... LOL! smile

Tell me the exact pressure being generated in YOUR rifle with that load. You can't do it of course. You have to run to Aliant for an answer....... so "yes' you are guessing.... wink

I said we ALL "pressure guess" because we really have no idea what pressures are for THAT LOAD IN OUR RIFLES at the time we fire it because we are not hooked up to a ballistic lab to measure those pressures as we watch the velocities. We tend to go by velocity and case life.

Load that same case 8-10 times and if your primer pockets stay tight you may very well have a safe maximum load FOR YOUR RIFLE. If not the quest for the other 50-100 fps is a waste of time. Buy a bigger cartridge.

We can "surmise"; we can run to other sources like Alliant and call them up and they can tell you THEIR loads in THEIR barrels are within SAAMI spec. But they CANNOT tell you what the actual pressures are for their loads and data in your riflebecause of the differences in bullets, powder lots, barrels and chambers. Just because the data is safe n their barrels does NOT mean it is safe in yours. It MIGHT be but you can't prove it. smile

So, yes....you are guessing....I am guessing...most everyone here is guessing when they do load workup as to the pressures being generated in theirrifle with their components.

The only ones NOT guessing is Alliant in their pressure barrels.

Why do you think every manual out there has disclaimers about approaching maximum charges with CAUTION? Because they cannot guarantee their data will be safe in YOUR rifle.....if you blow up your 270 using their data and sue them for damages, you will LOSE. Because you were were "pressure guessing".

You're an experienced shooter...spare me the tales of the hard kicking 7 mags. I don't know a single soul who can handle a 270 and can't handle a 7 mag....ridiculous. Stop crawling stocks and you won't get bit by scopes.

I find it funny that Nosler data is somehow "optimistic" when it doesn't show a single 270 load that moves a 150 gr bullet over 3000 fps; yet Aliant data is "OK" and perfectly safe at 3050 with the same bullet....don't you see any inconsistency there? smile

As to the title of the thread..."who needs a 7 Mag"? the obvious intent of the thread was not to simply report results in the 270; it was to set up the argument that RL26 makes the 270 into a 7 RemMag....which of course is BS. It does not do any such thing.

If you have as much experience with both cartridges as you say you do, you'd know that.

Last edited by BobinNH; 09/08/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.