Just spent a couple of days camped in a remote spot with some mates doing some LR plinking. Some of us have a little experience, some a little more and one or two complete novices...

We didn't go out further than 1100y and were using cartidges ranging from 223 to 300 WM. There were some expensive custom LR rigs, some varmint rifles and a couple of light hunting rifles in the mix, scoped and loaded appropriately for longer range shooting.

All I can say is that much beyond about 750y, it gets harder and harder in non lineal fashion, and unless you're doing LOTS of shooting at those ranges it's my view that NO ONE has any business shooting at game that far out. And then only in ideal conditions. (Deer tethered in a wind tunnel.... smile )

I think i said above that LR hunting is in it's formative years in this country. Perhaps we're a long way behind the curve, but it seems there's lots of talk on the internet where people are killing game at extreme ranges that seems very unlikely unless the shooter is an absolute jet of a shot that shoots perhaps hundreds of rounds a week in that setting...

All I know is that I was reminded these last few days how much more I need to practice!