Originally Posted by WvZ
Bob, extending reach seems a natural yearning, indulged since the first spear, atlatl, sling, bow and firearm. I don't expect it to abate. But practical (certainly humane and ethical) limits afield do exist. Some hunters exceed them now. Lost game -- and lost hunting opportunity for everyone -- is one result. Another is the claim by more and more people ill disposed toward hunting that there's no sport in long-range assassination.... Wayne

Originally Posted by bobnob17
Welcome Wayne.

It seems the notion of a "long shot" has changed a lot in the last decade. Perhaps less than a decade in my country where most hunters would likely still consider over 250 metres to be a long shot on game.

Where do you see LR heading in the next 20 years? Will we keep seeing ranges extended, or is there a practical limit to all this?

Again, welcome.

- Bob

Wayne, what pizzes me off is some of these new hunters lack of ethics. They spray lead and go and pick up their critters. They don't care how many other animals or people (for that matter) get wounded or killed in the process. My elk hunting partner and I witnessed this happen 2 days ago on the opening day of first season general season bull hunt here in Oregon. These guys fired off 40 rounds (at least) at these elk and went and picked up the remains. The other elk went crashing though the woods. We circled around and got ahead of the herd and my buddy shot a wounded bull that these guys had injured. It was shot twice. Once in the hind end and another grazed the front leg. My buddy could have taken a bigger bull in the bunch, but didn't want to leave this one to die in the woods. It's one thing to shoot an animal at "long range" and make that shot count, but to spray and pray and wound and maim critters in the process is just sickening to me.... I almost went to have a talk with these fu ckers, but figured a heated debate with guns involved would only lead to more nonsense. There were 4 shooters there, they fired a minimum of 40 rounds and dropped 2 elk. Wounded who knows how many. It's guys like these that give good hunters a bad name.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA