Originally Posted by tzone
I don't have a .22mag rifle. I have a revolver that I carry at times. Is there a big enough difference in performance to pick up a rifle?

HUGE fan on 22lr and probably have more 22 rifles than a guy should, but one more won't hurt right?

What should I be looking at? I see Ruger has a RAR in .22 mag.

I picked up a Sako Quad in 22 magnum, expecting to put a Lilja 17 HMR barrel on it to get back a 17 Sako Quad. That gun has become my son's, lol. I got some ammo, and found the gun loves current manufacture Hornady 30 grain ammo, and I have yet to order the Lilja, as it will probably sit in a corner in the factory packaging until I shoot up my stash of Hornady ammo, or I buy more.

I shoot ground squirrels with mostly CF's, but usually bring a Kidd 10-22 with 40 grain power-point ammo. It shoots tiny groups, but at 100 yards they go plop and just bend over, sometimes it takes 2 hits to finish the job. The 22 Mag isn't as explosive as my 17 hmr's, but it does a much better job over the 22LR.

I believe it is a great step up, but if you don't have one, get a 17HMR instead of the 22 magnum.

Allen