You know...I have heard the theory that "most cops aren't gun guys" my whole career...and I simply havent seen this to be true.

Perhaps its an issue with locale, or culture, but the cops I have worked with and around have, by and large, been gun guys. Granted, some may like guns more than they know about them, but the number that have issues qualifying, or those that neglect their weapons are far overshadowed by those who go above and beyond. The vast majority of officers here are hunters, and nearly as many are competitive shooters in some fashion.

In my agency, for example, we issue pistols, rifles, and shotguns. Last I checked, well under half chose to carry the issued pistol, and less than that carried the issued rifle, opting instead to spend their own money for the weapons they wanted. We have very nice shotguns, so many do carry them. We have free access to our range, and rare is a time I go there that there arent other guys already there, on their own time. Rarer yet is a qualification day where more than one officer has to shoot the qual more than once to pass, and we even require a higher score than the state standard.

I suspect my agency, and this area, are not the norm. For that, I am glad.

Last edited by liliysdad; 02/10/17.