Interesting thread. I've purchased 4-5 copshop Glocks from Summitgunbroker, a couple of Sig 229R's from CDNN, a P220 or two from KYGuns and couple of MP40Cs from Buds. One of the MP40C's had a thin 1” strip of light rust behind the front sight and it was removed with oil and 0000 steel wool, leaving the finish intact. It was obvious from the location and shape that the cased gun was stored in a wet/damp environment and moisture collected between the foam liner & slide. Rust was present on the liner as well and foam don't rust.

I worked for or closely with about a dozen agencies over 30+ years including contract work for feds. I served as Chief or Adjunct FTO for many of them. I saw a few poorly maintained service handguns but in every case it was the personal sidearm of some fossil dick who should never have had a badge in the first place. And if I issued a sidearm that was allowed to rust like the pistol depicted in the opening post, the officer I issued it to would have been exploring other career options PDQ. I made that known from the outset and never had a problem.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ