Have to agree that 95+% of officers are not gun people....just because you choose to own your own gun doesn't make you a gun person.

I worked on a 38 man force...36 didn't carry off duty. All guns were city issue. Range was open any time you wanted to go down and shoot...I and one other officer were about the only ones who used the range. There were only a couple of guys that hunted.

Another department, 68 officers and only three carried off duty. Issue gun was a revolver but you could buy and carry almost anything you wanted in 9mm or .45. Well over 50% had their own semis and it was the only gun they owned. Most could barely qualify.

I've talked to dozens of LEO instructors over the years...most are not gun people. I just about always ask what percentage of their officers carry off duty...usually it is less than 10%.

Yesterday I visited with a childhood friend who I had not seen in about 25 years. He did over 20 years on a large department outside Hartford, Ct. He told me about a sergeant who retied and left his gun/belt rig hanging in his locker when he left...the gun had become fused to the holster and had to be cut out. Guy had gotten away without qualifying for at least 10 years...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....