Haven't been around much lately and see I've missed a interesting thread. Glad it got brought back to the top.
Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Can't see the Lapua brass/small primers pockets causing any issues using published data or a chronograph in load build up.
If your a magic load builder that can always improve by 100,200, even 300 fps. compared to published data well you are on your own just like always.
At least we have cheap chronographs availble to let you knw where you are rather than trying to read fired cases......not that they can't tell us many things.

I built a Creedmoor back when it first came out and a bunch of the first available brass.
I pushed velocities a bit and did get noticeably loose primer pockets in one or two firings.
I was using a powder,Superformance, data wasn't then published for and a chronograph.
Would of been nice if the primer pockets stayed tight but what can I complain about.
The brass was consistent and I did psh things.

As for a small rifle primer in a case of the Creed's capacity I would never consider it in a hunting situation.
I never had a non fire but have experienced delayed fires using standard primers in cases like the 284 and 270 in very cold temps. Magnum primers never did so.