Another benefit of pillars, especially if you haven't done a lot of bedding, is that they help simplify the bedding process. This is the short version of the way that I was taught (by Echols):

-Using tape around the barrel to center the rifle in the forend, get the barreled action perfectly level in the stock (use a depth mic/caliper to establish the half-depth of the barrel in the forend and tape to level)

-Remove any stock material that it touching the action or barrel other than perhaps where the tang rests

-Apply your release agent to the action

-Use a set of cap head screws that will match your action threads and secure the pillars to the action

-Epoxy the pillars into the stock with them secured to the leveled barreled action

-When the epoxy has cured, secure the stock in a padded mill vise and mill the bottom side of the pillars to the proper depth and angle to interface with the bottom metal

-Now, when you torque the barrel down to the pillars, you will be sure that it is level. When you go to actually bed the rifle, you apply your bedding compound and then use either your cap head screws or the action screws themselves to tighten the action against the pillars. This makes bedding a very simple two-step process.

I hope that I explained it well, I'll see whether I can dig up some photos.