Just a note to confirm Dennis made it to Bettles ok. He said he'd mail (as in postal service) an SD card from time to time, and when he does I'll post some pics. This remote work scenario is probably old hat to you long-term Alaskans, but interesting to many here maybe.

He's got very limited email and no text capability as of yet. From email:

"I have a 3 room cabin/house. There is a bedroom, a living room, a connected kitchen to the living room and a hall that goes to a small bath and a storage room. My bedroom floor is sloped about 2-3 degrees- welcome to the tundra!
Wright Air flies here every morning and usually every afternoon. Today there were TWO Grand Caravans that dropped off cargo near as I could tell. Yesterday there were only Navajos. Ruby loves it here of course. I have taken a few photos. I will send a card about every 2 weeks I guess. There is a phone here and I can get calls if I'm but the office. I don't know the number off hand but it is on their website. She told me that the FAX number is also a good number to use since they don't have a fax. I will get a calling card and make occasional calls.
So far we only have one operational aircraft- a Cessna 206. I put a new elevator control rod in a Beaver today and it should be ready to fly by Monday. The float planes are still in storage. There are moose and caribou sheds everywhere here.
I had bear jerky for lunch. I haven't seen any critters except hares so far- and a few geese. There are canoes out the ass here, aluminum, composite, plastic- must be 10 of them. He said that he doesn't use them anymore. Only inflatables now. I guess it is too much of a PITA to haul them in planes. You can't get rid of anything so they just stack up! Canoes EVERYWHERE. I need a bike. I am working on that.

He said he overnighted in the Golden North Hotel in Fairbanks and recommended it if one just wants a clean bed and bath and no frills -- definitely not a "lodge" type place. He also said the produce at Fred Meyers in Fbks was awesome, and bitched like the rest of us about the new big game tag prices.

Also, Ruby is his dog.

I'll add new stuff to the thread if I get it.

J

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill