Originally Posted by ykrvak
I would guess you're thinking of big eddy fish camp. It's about a mile below the trail that goes into horner. While very prominent, people are generally only there for fishing nowadays. John and Lorraine used to be there year round, but that was quite some time ago. I'm about six miles further downriver from there.

Dennis, a 6'er is certainly pretty good size for that country. I've got a similar sized hide hanging over the banister by the stairs. It was shot in early September and the amount of fat on that critter was crazy!

In 1980, I spent a few weeks as a F&G fish counter using John's fishwheel and living in their summer fish camp cabin a mile or so below Big Eddie, where the Honeas lived when not in Ruby. We used his fish wheel between openings for a count. Actually, his daughter Valery and her boyfriend of the time, Randy Kangas (remember him?) were operating the fish wheel for commercial catch, but it belonged to John.

One night in Ruby, I listened to John and Sidney Huntington trade stories of "the old days". Lordy, my ribs ached!

The best line of the night was when they were talking about going to village dances and getting in fights with the full-blood boys. One of them, probably Sydney, said "It's a good thing the girls liked half-breeds, or I'd be a virgin yet!"

Valerie (one of the most beautiful women I've ever personally met) was in the the room. She just looked at me and shook her head.

I was riding to Galena to retrieve my canoe (left there 2 years before) in Val's boat on a fish run, when we spotted a grizzly swimming the river. "Watch this", she said.

We went by that bear 10 feet away under full load and power, making a big wake, which rolled that bear. It was so mad that when it reached shore it bounced up and down on all four stiff legs, daring us to come ashore. That night, a half dozen fish camps were bear-wrecked.

I'm sure one had nothing to do with the other..... smile

A couple times a week my camp partner and I would go up to Horner Hot Springs for a bath. She was pretty good looking too, even with her clothes on. I was , alas, happily married. And still am, same wife.

Last edited by las; 07/24/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.