For many years, the Model 71 and I coexisted... in mutually exclusive worlds. There were the Winchester "classics" in the earlier levers and the nouveau Model 88. Not just me; a lot of folks must not have appreciated the 71 during its production years. That considering over those years, it's sales numbers never anything the Olin family bragging to stockholders about. Also my own impression over decades of collecting, far fewer of the breed in the used market than even its modest sales numbers should suggest.

Finally... after decades of collecting, just within the last one, actually beginning to keep an eye open for a decent one. Qt last, several years ago an early, pristine 71 coming my way. Nothing fancy, just in really nice condition and completely stock! SN in the 14K range and long tang. So now I own one. It, joining a number of other Winchesters, Marlins, Savages, etc., in my stable. I still particularly covet my several 1886 Extra Lightweight models and also own both the Browning 86 Carbine (c 1991) and Winchester Extra Lightweight 86. (c. 2012).

Just the side remark that nowadays, there are a lot of collectible guns to be encountered out there which are terminally flawed. Particularly new collectors not appreciating how sometimes such as apparently small blems to make for disproportionate value depreciation. Those apparently astronomical gun prices for the unflawed and prices falling off quickly for what amounts to the too-many 'also rans'.
My take

Last edited by iskra; 05/13/17.