Originally Posted by satx78247
To All,

As much as I'd like to have a 71 to hunt with, I cannot imagine paying the scalper's prices that I see on the Worldwideweird.
(I haven't even seen a Model 71 for sale in South Texas in a decade or more at ANY price.)

So I'll stick with my Model 760 that JES remodeled for me in 9.3x62mm.

yours, tex

It's your entirely choice, but regardless of what you can find in Texas, where guns are quite popular and prices may reflect that, let me tell you my own impressions of what is available on GunBroker, though I have not checked the other sites. Original Model 71s are getting a bit rare since only 47,000 were made, but they ARE available if you shop around.

Several are available for $1-2000, and that would include a few nice old Winchester ones, a few beater ones with recoil pads and tapped for unsightly scope screws and several new Japan-made Winchester and Browning 71s. The latter group have the undesirable stock-mounted safeties. All are suitable for hunting, though.

Then there are a few that go up above $2000 including some of the new ones with nice engraving. Also some quite nice old Winchester "Deluxe" models with checkering,, sling mounts, etc.

Finally, there are a few above $3000 that are old ones but in mostly pristine condition. Usually these are "Deluxe" versions. Few of these get any bids, but some may. I'd guess that these are for collectors, not shooters.

I have one coming that is in the first price category above. It is definitely a shooter, but a genuine old Winchester Model 71 with Redfield adjustable peep sight, checkered walnut stock so a "Deluxe," original steel buttplate, quite modest wear to wood and metal and fine bore. The front sight still has its cover. The price was quite reasonable for what it is, I thought.

I hope to pick it up from my FFL holder today!

Did I mention that ammo is expensive and hard to get? wink.

Norm

Last edited by Anjin; 12/23/17.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).