Where do you live, Salmonella? Flea infestations are not created equal! The gulf coast states have much more severe problems
and require a waaaay more aggressive approach. For most other folks there are lots of good options. Saresto collars are great as are many of the newer generation topical and oral products. I've unfortunately seen numerous breaks in protection with Frontline. It is a 25 yr old product and I think the fleas have figured out a way to defeat it. Ditto for the OTC pyrethrin stuff like Sargent's, etc. Also, I'd be very cautious about using anything in an extra label fashion. Pyrethrins and permethrins can cause seizures if over dosed.

For the money, I like Activyl. It is a once a month topical that kills both fleas and ticks. If ticks and Lyme disease are a big deal in your area it is OK to get a regular flea collar and double down on tick protection.

If your house is infested you need to make sure ALL the mammalian pets are treated for fleas. THAT MEANS THE FRIGGIN' CAT THAT NEVER GOES OUTDOORS,TOO. You'll have to treat all pets throughout the flea season to avoid relapses. Also, daily vacuuming of the house helps remove flea eggs and larvae. Be sure to empty the vacuum outdoors so the eggs don't hatch in the Hoover. Be sure to wash pet beds in hot water and dry them in the dryer to kill any eggs. 20 mule team Borax does help dry out the larvae and eggs.

Finally, if you must, buy some flea bombs that contain IGR (insect growth regulator) for a rapid knock down of the adults. If you go this route, all the pets and people (excluding th emother-in-law ) must be out of the house. Any fish tanks must be sealed with saran wrap. Close all windows and shut off all fans to avoid blowing the mist away from a given area. After 4 hours, open the windows and allow 1 hour before bring the pets back indoors. If you have pet birds, I'd wait a day before reintroducing them to the house.

Hope this helps