Originally Posted by High_Noon
roast: I agree that experience and confidence are key, and that doubt is a killer, but that's all for naught when dealing with a crazy woman, and you're concerned about the well-being of your child, for example. Most of the time I simply remove myself from the situation. I do not seek trouble, quite the opposite in fact, but in situations where experience is impractical or even impossible, what can be done? Yes, drills and practice can be effective at mitigating the negative response of a charging brownie, for example, but one cannot know their true response until it happens. While I have experience with charging feral hogs, a brown bear is a different matter entirely. Similarly, I like to think that my marksmanship and practice hunting and shooting would dictate my response to being shot at by a bad guy, but I cannot truly know how I would react until it actually happened, as I have not served in the military and I have no experience in this area.

The problem here, IMHO, is in your mind. HOW is a charging bear different than a hog? They are both dangerous, and both charging..... If you are confident then its no big deal to swap a bear for a pig, except in your mind if you let it be.

Its the same with buck fever or target panic, its all a fear of failure.

To me its just that simple.

As to and adrenalin surge not being fear, thats all in your mind IMHO, the adrenalin will come, and if you use it correctly its good. If you are afraid its a negative. Its going to be there, the rest is up to you.

RE not knowing until the time is true in every instance. But the more you have phsyically and mentally trained the better off you will be.

For this thing you need to read a lot of mental stuff IMHO. SOrry I have no real reading to offer as its been so many years since wife and I both did this, I just can't quite recall what we read.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....