Originally Posted by High_Noon
I'm not sure where to post this on the forum, but since the AK section is my favorite, I'll post it here:

This may be an unusual question, but I have been concerned about controlling my adrenaline response in extreme or dangerous situations for quite some time. I have yet to experience this while in a hunting situation, but there have been times in my life, i.e. heated arguments, fights (not many), instances where I am not being treated fairly or when I have been unjustly accused, and the most dangerous of all: dealing with the ex-wife, where I feel my adrenaline rising to very high levels and I feel I loose a bit of control. Not always, but sometimes, depending on the severity of the situation, I experience shaking and loss of fine motor skills.

I know that military personnel train to control their adrenaline response and I would like to learn to do so as well. Specifically, I do not want to get into a self-defense situation where my adrenaline response will negatively affect my ability to handle the situation.

Outside of the BS methods of diet, exercise, counting to 10, channeling Buddah, or whatever, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about controlling adrenaline response when seconds count?

I don't 'know' much about it, but have 'thoughts' about this very topic, since I've wished and wondered how I might change some aspects of dealing with 'fight-or-flight' situations. What I know about myself is that I get rather ticklish about 'running in front of the freight train' if it means saving my own hide. But, my own safety never crosses my mind if there's someone else that's lying on the rails. So what one's focus must have something to do with it. But I reckon there's a lot one can gain through experience, exposure, and practice also. Fear of the unknown can be the worst.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.