Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Somebody else was bragging on how much time the Frankford T&P Center saved on trimming and chamfering brass. Then I told him my Gracey trims and chamfers 15-20 a minute, and he was astonished.. (The Giraud may be even faster than the Gracey, since it has a more powerful motor. I dunno, having never timed one.) Many of the tools handloaders choose are indeed an upgrade from what they had before, but are only comparisons of two tools, not several.

A lot depends on your purpose in handloading. Are you after precision or speed? Or are you looking for the best compromise for both? I've tried several progressive presses, and haven't found one that consistently produces precise enough rifle ammo for my purposes--but one of the same models may be fine for somebody else. In fact I know they can be, because a friend uses one and is very happy. But he doesn't desire as much accuracy as I do.

Many people have told me how much faster their loading is with an electronic scale/measure, since they can be seating a bullet while the next charge is dropping. But I've done a bunch of time/motion handloading tests, and a correctly used mechanical measure beats any electronic scale I've tried in speed, by a wide margin, and with the right powders and techniques in precision as well. Plus, none of the popular electronic scales I've tested have been as accurate as a good balance scale, though properly used they're close enough for most handloading.

It also depends on how much you want to spend. I got a good deal on a used Gracey trimmer, but with shellholders it still cost twice as much as Frankford. It was worth it to me, however, because I do considerable trimming of some cartridges, often batches of several hundred.

John,
Respectfully a few thoughts...

If there is a difference in precision between these two I can't tell. Other than one is doing three things at one time AND still doing it in a fraction of the time. Though my Wilsons work perfectly at getting the Carpal Tunnel off...;-) (Allowing bad jokes to pass..) That being said it all depends on technique, simplistic but still repetitive technique, and the Giraud delivers +/- .001" with beautifully trimmed, chamfered, and deburred cases resulting. I should also note the machine is MUCH cheaper than the Wilson Tools. I hate having to reset them for each cartridge I shoot, hence, I wind up with a Wilson Micrometer Trimmer with Sinclair Base, for each cartridge, and a Wilson Ti plated cutter(w/originals held in reserve). $200 is an easy expenditure per trimmer... The .50 BMG Super Trimmer, when I bought it in 08', was about $550. I've been offered twice that for it from a couple of guys who process ammunition. The only difference from the standard unit that I am aware of is the 1/4th HP motor versus the standard 1/8 HP motor, and corresponding heavier frame, and the pulley system. Understand the market has dried up for the .50 BMG Super Trimmers per Mrs. Giraud. Looks like I have another collectors item. The only thing I have added that did not come from Giraud is a Forster Aluminum lock ring on each case holder. Their new website, which I believe went up last night, shows a similar lock ring...fwiw
[Linked Image]

My German Sartorius 64-1S Analytical Labratory Balance weighs to four places behind the decimal in grams and three in grains. Resolves down to .002 thousandths of a grain. Typical granule of H4350 is roughly .026 thousandths of a grain(from .020-.030 for outliers). Hence said H4350 stick makes a rather large impact on the readout. The problem can be information overload. Many choose the South Korean A&D 120i which goes to two digits behind the decimal in grains at a little more than half the price. I've run both and don't regret the Sartorius. A piece of tape over the third digit makes it a A&D 120i...

[Linked Image]

Very intelligent, and savvy, young Canuck who is making both the Sartorius and the A&D 120i into a dispensing analytical balances. Will likely become fiscally comfortable in the process within reason. Has also come up with his own "two box chronograph" for better or worse... www.autotrickler.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6ngvVDS9kc

Hope it makes for interesting viewing...

It is amazing

Best Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member