I wouldn't reload without one today. I was a reloader for a few years without one and was really guessing at velocity/pressure. I even use it today for checking various brands and styles of .22LR ammo. There IS a difference! But extreme spread IS an important factor in relatively low velocity ammo, either factory or home made. Some factory stuff is so bad in that regard, I NEVER buy factory except that which proves best in .22LR.

And in big bores, such as .45-70 and .458 WM, I've proven to myself that if I can get spreads down to less than 10 fps for 3 to 5 shots consistently, at pressures near max for that rifle, I've got a gem of a load that shoots sub-moa every time at the range when I do my part. And that gives confidence in the field. Here's one example of a 350gr TSX from my CZ550 in .458 Win Mag with a very long action and throat allowing Lott length: (Load taken from Lott data) -- 2746, 2747, 2746, 2749 and 2745. There's NO WAY I could guess that from numbers in a book -- especially when, as mentioned, "their" testing setup has nearly zero relationship to mine! I've written extensively on this in my manuals and blogs. That load would shoot 3 into +/-0.50" at the 100 yard berm unless I was having a bad day.

And, I could give numerous examples from other rifles of the same nature.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus