Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I quit using mine....
The load and rifle bullet comes out whatever it comes out....vol is what it is...and used acordnly....

I see no problem with that. There are some people that think you cannot reload without one, but that's nonsense.

Some of these same people ignore published manufacturer's recommendations, keep adding powder and checking their chronos for unusual velocities. That is part of the method, but absolutely not the only thing you should be doing. And what is the condition of your chamber? What is the condition and size of the throat? Is it new or eroded?

Velocity is the best indicator for most shooters, but there is no guarantee that what you see on the display is correct, or a 100% indicator that the load is safe. Hence the warnings published by every bullet and powder company. Which chrono are you using? Is it reading properly? Chronographs are not created equally. Why are Oehlers so popular? They are expensive. Won't a Shooting Chrony do? Is your chronograph calibrated or checked occasionally? There are other factors as well. Are you adequately skilled at assembling cartridges? What signs are you looking for?

When someone experiments and deviates from published load data, they are going into unknown territory. Doing this takes some skill, and in almost all cases is unnecessary. Relying on chrono readings alone isn't smart. And other tools, like test labs or pressure test equipment, aren't in the hands of many reloaders.

Personally, I respect your decision. You are quite right when you say that the bullet will come out as it comes out. Use the data from the powder or bullet company, be happy, and watch critters fall over.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]