Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
When a bullet produces no exit wound (and in fact has no mechanism to produce one unless it fails to expand) that's a failure. Less blood loss, so you get animals going much further, and no blood to track so you're much less likely to figure out where they went.

There is so much wrong with this I hardly know where to start.

Anyone that has read my posts over the last few years knows I'm not a fan of Berger bullets. Yes, they can kill and do so in a dramatic fashion. The problem I have with them is I want a bullet that will penetrate more deeply than even Berger claims if faced with a wounded or possibly wounded animal heading away in high gear. My choices include, in no particular order, North Fork SS, Barnes MRX and TTSX, Nosler AccuBond, Swift A-Frame and Scirocco II.

Generally I get an exit wound with these bullets. Generally but not always. I've never lost an elk or any other animal when they didn't exit, nor did I have to track them as they went straight down or down within a few steps.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.