Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

If you are sure those stocks are original (and two of them to boot!), then Rule missed an important variation. Given all the lesser variations he did not miss, that really surprises me.

Again not to argue, but I crossed paths with a serious collector and he knew most of the serious collectors. He was of the opinion that it wasn't rare for Rule to miss. FWIW.

No argument from me. I've heard that about Rule as well. I've even heard a rumble or two about "the book" having some intentional errors to cover some tracks. Please note I didn't say I doubted jt402. But his was the first I had ever heard (in my limited experience) of SG Monte Carlo stocks that didn't have that awkward intersection, non-intersection actually, of the rear of the cheek rest with the step of the Monte Carlo.

As for serious collectors, that is some rare air indeed, and air I don't breathe. I have talked to one knowledgeable person that trusts dealer A, but not dealer B, and then another who tells me exactly the opposite. As far as I can tell, if you don't have a rock solid paper trail, the "correctness" of any given M70 is what some undefined community of experts is willing to agree on, although there is often disagreement. You may have private knowledge you trust, and that may give you peace of mind, but that is all it is.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/23/17. Reason: piece corrected to peace

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"