Originally Posted by Zerk
Mounted a set of Leupold QR this morning. Alternated holes to 15 inch/lbs. Then took one out at time and put some blue loctite on. Back to 15. Than did all 4 20, and 28. In the past I wasn't putting locker on rings, but decided to here. In the past I probably should have been tqing more often. I think I was actually way under tighening. I thought I was doing the opposite.

Ring screw torque specs are typically given for dry assembly. Wet (lubricated) assembly, whether lubricated with oil, grease, powdered rosin, teflon, silicone, uncured thread locker, etc., results in greater strain on the fastener at any given dry torque setting. Your torque wrench measures the amount of energy used to install the fastener. Threaded fasteners are designed to stretch during assembly like a spring. If over tightened, the fastener will permanently deform, like a sprung spring that no longer returns to its original shape. Lubticating a threaded fastener reduces the amount of energy required to stretch the fastener during assembly. To this end, if fastener torque specs are given for dry assembly, reducing torque wrench settings during lubricated assembly will achieve adequate fastener stretch without exceeding the material's elastic threshold. The degree to which lubricated settings should be reduced depends on the quality of the lubricant.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty