Lubing the bases makes more sense, since you cannot check them with scope on. Rings can be checked. My mistake. First time putting lube on rings. I don't think it is awful, but tq value should be backed down.

http://warnescopemounts.com/do-i-need-threadlocker/
We recommend all bases being mounted to a firearms receiver use a non-permanent threadlocker, which is typically a blue or purple color. A firearm barreled action is under immense stress when it is fired. This creates shock and vibration which can loosen the small screws that are commonly used to mount bases to the receiver. A small application of threadlocker, and the proper torque of no more than 25 in/lb (steel receivers only) will ensure that the base screws stay tight, even on the harshest recoiling rifles.

threadlocker

Warne does not recommend the use of threadlocker on our rings. When a threadlocking compound is applied to screw threads, it can act as a lubricant. When you torque lubricated threads vs. torquing dry threads, when using the same amount of torque, more pressure will be put on the scope tube due to the lubricated screw being easier to tighten. We recommend 25 in/lb of torque for all Warne rings, and that torque spec is intended for dry threads. If threadlocker was applied to the threads, and the ring was torqued to 25 in/lb, there is potential for scope tube damage. An easy way to make sure you are tightening mounts to the proper torque is to use the Warne TW1 torque wrench. It is preset at 25 in/lb with a T-15 Torx bit for easy installation.