Go over here and read up a bit, join if you want.

www.tacomaworld.com

I have an 07 with the older engine and post some over there.

Based on my reading the new truck and engine get mixed reviews. But a lot of that is pissing contests between the groups who own both that want to argue, "mine is better than yours"

The newer engine runs at higher rpm's and drives much differently. The guys used to the older engines can't get used to that. But I think it is still a good truck that tows almost as much as the older truck. You just have to drive it differently.

FWIW I bought my Tacoma new 10 years and 182,000 miles ago. It has been the best truck I've ever owned, but is just too small anymore for a lot of what we do. About 16 months ago I bought a used F150 Supercrew 4X4. I could have traded the Tacoma and bought a new Ford or keep it and buy used. It was about the same out of pocket either way. I decided to keep the older Taco as a 3rd vehicle. It needs new tires soon. But other than that I'd drive it across the country tomorrow even with the miles on it. I'm expecting at least 300,000 and probably closer to 400,000 miles out of it before it needs any major work.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.