Originally Posted by JMR40
\.

The money savings don't seem like a lot at first, but it adds up. You'll only save $3K-$5K initially, but the long term repair costs will almost certainly be less. Other than fluids, tires, brakes, and batteries an alternator is the only repair I've paid for.

Fuel mileage may not seem huge, but over 182,000 miles the 2-3 additional MPG adds up. My Tacoma averages about 17-18 mpg overall. My F-150 about 14-15 mpg. At that rate I've saved 2300 gallons of gas. If the average price of gas over the 10 years was $2.25 that is over $5100 saved in fuel.

There seems to be a disconnect between people that have driven Taco's and those that have only driven domestic trucks. Once you take a vehicle beyond 300K with nothing but oil, filters, brakes, the definition of "routine maintenance" changes. It does NOT include water pumps, alternators, transmissions, exhausts, control switches on the steering column, etc, etc, etc. And brakes don't get changed until after 100K.

Even routine maintenance is cheaper, Less oil, much cheaper tires, etc. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Dodge Cummins dearly; but it wasn't an inexpensive truck to operate. The difference in cost per mile? I wouldn't be surprised it it was half.

Sic Semper Tyrannis