Unless someone needs the larger cab a Tacoma makes a lot of sense for many people. Even with the new 3.5 engine the Tacoma will tow 85-90% of what you can tow with a typical 1/2 ton. And they will tow MORE than a lot of 1/2 tons. You CAN get a 1/2 ton that will tow and haul a lot more than a Tacoma, but most of them on the road won't beat one by much.

The money savings don't seem like a lot at first, but it adds up. You'll only save $3K-$5K initially, but the long term repair costs will almost certainly be less. Other than fluids, tires, brakes, and batteries an alternator is the only repair I've paid for.

I've heard of more issues with the newer trucks, but traditionally Toyota takes care of their customers. I've had my 07 for 182,000 miles and Toyota is still replacing leaf springs for me on their dime. Nothing wrong with the ones I have but they are making things right at no cost to me just in case. They are better than average about things like this. I've read of multiple situations where Toyota worked with folks on repairs out of warranty at reduced or no cost. They replaced a leaking rear window on mine at no cost even though it was 4,000 miles over the warranty period.

Fuel mileage may not seem huge, but over 182,000 miles the 2-3 additional MPG adds up. My Tacoma averages about 17-18 mpg overall. My F-150 about 14-15 mpg. At that rate I've saved 2300 gallons of gas. If the average price of gas over the 10 years was $2.25 that is over $5100 saved in fuel.

But if someone NEEDS the room the Tacoma simply won't work. I didn't buy one until my youngest moved out and I no longer needed that extra room. But that was 10 years ago. I now have 3 grand kids and need more room again.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.