I saw the link to this thread in another thread earlier this afternoon while at work, during one of those lulls when I have to let things run a little while to see what will happen. I think I got up to Chapter 4. Then when I got home this afternoon I picked up where I left off, and just finished reading. It is about 7:30 PM.

I guess I just want to say "thank you Dan." That is a riveting story to say the least, and I'm sure it was extremely taxing to relive all that as you must have done to get it put on paper. Had I been born in 1952 instead of 1955, I might know the story, but I have to be thankful that I do not...but I am enriched by at least understanding it. In that sense you have made what cannot be understood comprehensible.

One thing that I come away with is the sense that it was not a place you are ever able to really leave. An experience that horrific has to become so much a part of your very being and every moment you breathe. You are always there.

The debt this nation owes its combat veterans is beyond the capability of mortals to repay.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.