Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shaman,

Yes, I'd say 60 inch-pounds is way too much. I'd try it with no more than 40.

Cool. I'm just going to pull the action out and wait for the spacer to arrive.

CGPaul:

Giving it to a 'smith to bed sounds like an attractive idea. However, I'm not really sure this is even the right deer rifle for me. This is my first flirt with 8X57, and it fell into my hands rather than me going out to seek it. Yes, it's in the same basic niche as my 30-06s and 308 WIN, but it frankly seems to be giving me more recoil with less effective range. At 4MOA, I'm going to have to keep this rifle shooting inside 100 yards on a deer to be sure of where I'm shooting. I'd made a promise to myself to buy one more 30-06 (which I did in 2014) and then start working my way down the ladder from there. As a for-instance, 7X57 would be an ideal next step.

I wanted to make sure the last 'smith that touched it had cured the scope mount issues. My guess is he did. Now I'm trying to decide if the rifle is accurate enough to keep, or if it needs to be sent down the road. In the back of my head I know I can get a nice new Ruger in a 7mm chambering for what I'm probably going to throw into this giving it to a 'smith to fine tune. That last Ruger Hawkeye shot 1 MOA with its first test load.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer