Yes, I understand....sometimes these rifles can drive one nuts!
Do me a favor and maybe you a favor. I`ve been talking to you about warping the action, or springing it, without the rear spacer. To help you either prove or disprove the action had been warped, place it back into the stock, draw down the guard screws to about 40lbs each, then place a finger so it contacts both wood and metal on the ring in the front of the action, with the other hand loosen and tighten the front guard screw. If the action is warped, you will feel the action pulling away from the stock as you loosen the screw, and back down again as you tighten it. If nothing happens, do the same with the rear screw, with a finger in contact with both tang and wood. Let us know what happened. Best case nothing moves, worse, both move. The spacer should help, but you may have to redrill the hole to fit the spacer.
Someone also mentioned the scope...that action is about 8 3/4 inches long, mounting holes for the bases are about 5 inches c/c. If the action is sprong, then the scope will be too.
Sorry this so long...hope this may be helpfull.