I just wanted to give you one last update on The Mauser From Hell. I kept it out in the blind all week, determined to use it on a deer.

On Saturday, the MFH finally got successfully blooded. At just over an hour after sun-up, a well-fed 6-point whitetail buck came out of the bushes into the pasture we call "The Garden of Stone." He was approximately 140 yards from my blind. I think he saw me put down my coffee because he stopped and looked my way.

I still have work to do on the safety, and I did not want to spend more money on this project without proving it, so I had been keeping the chamber cold. I jacked a round into the chamber, 175 grain Speer RN's over H4895. As I nestled the forearm into the bag, he turned broadside.

The new Timney trigger surprised me. I may want to set it a bit higher to compensate for cold fingers. It broke perfectly as I settled on a high shoulder shot. The buck disappeared. For a moment I was sure he had run back into the bushes and was now thundering down the ravine on Left Leg Creek, but before I could cycle another round, I saw hooves come up through the tall grass.

I had dropped him on the spot. The shot had missed the heart but taken out both lungs.

[Linked Image]

Pics and more details are here:

Finally! Shaman Scores a Buck

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer