I'm back from deer camp. Everyone filled their tags. The Mauser From Hell went out on several occasions. I think a picture will say it all:

[Linked Image]
Details here:

Tagged Out in 2017

Bottom line: I'm kicking myself for not taking more time with the rifle before season. When the moment of truth came, I found I could not get the K98's safety off with a gloved hand. I ended up muffing a shot at a nice doe Sunday morning. I went out again in the afternoon. This time, I dropped one in its tracks at 185 yards.

Although I'm sure the MFH is now worthy as a deer rifle, it still needs work. Right now, it's shimmed. I plan on removing more material from the forearm so that it is properly free-floated. Also, before it goes out hunting again, I need to change out the safety. I would like y'all's opinion on a safety. I prefer a 3-position, but I'm not sure about the expense.

SuperCore, its previous owner, was amazed at the improvement in the MFH. He'd owned it for over a decade and never been able to get it to shoot better than minute of bushel basket. At camp, he filled me in on its history. He'd been dating a widow back many years ago, and helped her sell off her husband's gun collection. The fellow had turned to drink in his latter years and ruined many of his pieces in blind rages. One very nice double-barrelled stainless SXS had been wrapped around a tree. This was one of the better items left in working order. However, he had probably banged the scope mount loose. The rest, up until I got it was just a series of munge-ups by bad gunsmiths.

Last edited by shaman; 11/21/17.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer