Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Shaman,

Thanks for letting us share your journey. I have enjoyed learning from this thread.

Thanks to all who offered ideas and suggestions! That's what makes this place the best on the internet!

Best wishes for your hunting season, can't wait to see the results. grin

Ed

Thank you. Sorry I did not have chance to respond before now. If you read elsewhere in the forum, I spent yesterday putting down our dog. It's been a bummer.

Unlike a gunwriter, or even an outdoor writer, I figure myself to be a writer that likes the outdoors. Of all the places I've been on the web, this particular venue seems to be the best place I've found for straight answers to firearms questions. This thread is typical. I don't mean to carp, quite the contrary. However, if you read through it, you see that just about every possible avenue was discussed: scope, mount, stock, bullet, seating depth, bore, etc. Nobody could satisfactorily put their finger on the problem, though a lot of people wanted to blame the scope of the mount. The scope was nearly brand new, and rifle had just come back from a gunsmith who had tested to make sure everything concerning the mount was rock solid. However, having the discussion certainly clarified the issues for me.

The one other possibility occurred to me as I was shooting Saturday. Unlike previous years, the grass at the farm has been growing exceptionally well this year. However, my edging mower has been in the shop all summer. I just got it back. As I was looking through my scope, I noticed a couple stalks had grown high enough about 20 yards out that they might have impinged on the original rounds. Just to make sure, I had a scrap of plywood at hand and laid it down on the most likely offenders. If it was the cause, it makes sense in that only 1 out of every 3-4 rounds was going wild. That could have been a stalk blowing into the field of fire just out of the sight picture due to parallax. I bet no one thought of a chunk of plywood could be a solution, did ya?

A bunch of us mentioned the scope because, IME, after dealing with lots of rifle accuracy problems, scope failure is the most common cause that I’ve run into.