Originally Posted by elkcountry
All,

I have a 2008 K1500 crew with the 5.3L. We are looking at upgrading the truck as we are considering a camp trailer that weighs 5500lb. empty, 6500+ loaded. I was seriously leaning 2500 6.0L gasser, but have recently learned of the new 6.2L with an 8 speed tranny in the new 1/2 ton. 95% of driving will be a commuter but 6-8 times a year it will be used to pull. They are rated for a pretty hefty 11,700lbs for towing.

Anybody have experience/opinions?

Thanks in advance,

Elk Country

That 6.2 is nothing like the earlier Chev. small blocks, and even the LS series. It's the LT1 which is a completely new engine, They started from scratch and everything is different except for for bore spacing. That thing is awesome. Same engine as the new Corvette stingray only tuned for truck use. A friend has one and loves it, says it goes 13's stock. He's also at sea level. You're in No. Colorado elk country/elevation (?) and will be towing which is a whole different thing. Get a diesel. Turbocharging makes a huge difference at altitude......all the difference in the world. You just don't feel mountain grades even when towing. Diesel torque makes even daily driving a lot more enjoyable. In 13yrs I've towed only a couple times with my diesel but do go up and down mountain grades and wouldn't trade it for anything.