Originally Posted by Formidilosus
To be clear,

I am not saying that a Leupold VX6 can't be used to kill a deer, or that 100% won't hold a zero well enough to shoot a whitetail at 200 yards.

I am saying, that they have significant problems as an aiming device when used hard, and when dialed. Just as good as, isn't. There are manufactures that put "aiming device" as #1 on their scope priorities.... Leupold doesn't. "Aiming device" isn't even in the top five of Leupold. Things like marketing, glass, cost, profit, weight, and features are. They do this because the vast majority of people don't actually shoot.

If you expect or desire your aiming device to stay zeroed through use, buy a scope that is built for that. If showing up to the range or on a hunt and having your scope fail or lose zero isn't that big of a deal- then there are plenty to choose from.

The lesson here for me is that it's foolish to spend, say a grand, on a scope that likely won't hold up over time any better than a $200 from the same outfit. For light use, get the $200 one and save the bucks to spend on one or two good ones to go on rifles that get really get used or really need to work. I can't drop big bucks on the scopes that sit on all my rifles, but I can afford one or two good ones.

While you're at it, do you have any experience with Aimpoints? A lot, if not most of the shots I get while hunting could be taken with a red dot. Aimpoints have a good reputation, but I've never seen much about how they hold up over time.

What fresh Hell is this?