Originally Posted by plough
i havent read all the posts on this subject...ive killed a bunch of deer with a .243 100 gr ...elk are different...when you are in the field you sometimes have to take quartering away shots...long shots or worse when the horns are large...elk are beautiful animals...they deserve a quick death...ive been hunting 40 yrs...my bottom bullet would be 150 grns...wounding and losing game is a sin

Then I'll just cut and paste.....again.......

Originally Posted by alpinecrick

243...100gr NPT...~375yds. First elk for the boy, 10th elk for that 243. The spike was quartering towards us when the bullet entered behind the front leg and ended up in the off hind quarter. Traveled about 30 yds before it died. Spike was maybe 400lbs, tops.

[Linked Image]

243...100gr NPT....150yds. 5th elk for the boy, 14th elk for that 243. The cow was very heavily quartering away at a fast trot. The bullet entered the front portion of the hind quarter, into the flank, through intestines and stomach, drilled a lung and clipped the liver, ended up against the ribcage next to the off shoulder. She traveled about 60 yds before she piled up. This was a very large, mature, dry cow, around 550lbs.

[Linked Image]

Both cases are an example where a less-that-stellar shot with a premium bullet makes a difference--regardless of our cartridge choice.

I have been the shooter or witnessed every one of those 14 elk killed with that 243, and I have yet to see what that cartridge/bullet combo can NOT do.

Point is it's hard to let go of old ideas. I mean, I still will be packing my 270 next year, but I'm beginning to question why.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.